Adapt means - to adjust to a new idea. Perfectionists have a rough time because they have unrealistic goals. The new idea may be: "this isn't going to be perfect."
Pliable means - Easily bent or shaped; flexible; easily influenced, persuaded, or swayed.
Break means - to reduce to pieces by force or pressure; come apart, collapse, render unusable by breaking; to ruin or destroy.
The reason people might be breaking down is:
1) They are trying to do something about something they can't do anything about.
2) They are trying to make something go away that they have and don't want.
3) They are trying to make something come that they want and don't have.
Wouldn't we all love to control everything so that our lives go exactly as we want them to? This is called unrealistic expectations!
We all should strive to be like the palm tree in our storm. Palm trees are able to bend 40 or 50 degrees without snapping. So, when the strongest of winds from the most brutal of storms are beating down, it is the palm tree that will bend in the storm but not snap. It is the palm tree that will, after the winds and rains have passed, be able to stand back up and continue to exist. Throughout life, we will all face some version of a storm. The storm could come to you as relationship or family issues. The storm could present itself as problems at work. The storm could also blow into your life as health or financial concerns.
How can we be adaptable and pliable in facing our storm?
1) Do not be a lone palm: During hurricane Ivan, research showed that trees growing in groups survived the winds better than individual trees. Your chances of surviving the storms in your own life will also be much lower if you attempt to be a lone palm. Matthew 18:20 says, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, I am there among them". Allow others to stand with you and receive help when needed.
2) Let Go & Let God : He is your help in times of trouble. Psalm 46 says: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."
3) Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
We choose whether we will weather the storm and stay flexible like the palm-tree and stand back up when the storm is over OR we can break under the pressure of the storm by trying to do things our way.
I choose to "Trust in the Lord",
I choose to "Let Go & Let God,
I choose to "Ask for Help!"